Sunday, October 6, 2013

Super Nerd Sundays Presents: My Misgivings about the Thief Reboot!



A friend asked me if I'd seen the most recently Thief 4 trailer, and when I said no, when I told him I was worried about the direction of the game and so I'd stopped paying attention to it, he said something interesting to me to get me to check it out.  He told me that the trailer had reminded him of Deus Ex.

Deus Ex, to those who don't know, is a role playing/action game with some shooting and stealth slapped into it.  It was also a franchise reboot, fully titled Deus Ex: Human Revolution, of an old game that had a bunch of problems with shooting mechanics and stealth mechanics that also did some incredibly interesting things with non-violence and consequence in gameplay that Deus Ex: Human Revolution mostly ditched in favor of presenting a neat, sleek actiony package.

I don't mean to knock Deus Ex's reboot, which is a fine game on its own - if it had been released as an independent property, I'm sure I'd be extolling its revolutionary framework and its streamlined object interactions, which harken back to gaming days of old.  But it was placed in the context of a super-cerebral self-serious franchise that did some insane things quite well and some simple things quite poorly and, as such, I contextualize it within the scope of that earlier game, with its boundless, unfulfilled ambition and shimmering capacity to encorporate the unexpected into its framework.  Deus Ex: Human Revolution was fun, it was good, but it wasn't Deus Ex.

Thief is a game I have a considerably less tortured relationship with than Deus Ex.  I absolutely love Thief.

When I was in high school, I downloaded the demo of the first Thief game years after it had come out and played through it again and again and again, dreaming of a day when I could save up enough allowance to buy it, or guilt my parents into grabbing me a copy.  In the end, I somehow managed to get the money together to try and grab a copy and, instead of getting Thief 1, I discovered that I could only find Thief 2.

I was okay with that - I'd get back to Thief the First later.

I played through Thief 2 with a kind of rapid obsession that came in starts and fits - I'd rumble through a particularly easy passage, and then stall out.  It's worth noting that I played it on the hardest possible difficulty level, which insisted that I never kill anyone, ever, and played through it trying to pick up every penny I could.  I did pretty well, too, even though it took me an absurd amount of time.  Eventually, I hit the last level and then, after a month of recklessly running down passages, finally finished the game.  It was an amazing experience, a kind of harrowing triumph that rarely emerges from videogamedom, the kind of decision that developers tend to avoid in this day and age.  Thief 2 was clumsy and rewarding, it was challenging and breezy.  It had a queer, tense pace that made every single aspect of it into a kind of nightmare dribblefest through quick, tense bits of action and long, dull slogs of surveillance.  I still recall, with queer accuracy, navigating the game's clumsy systems well enough to drop down on an enemy from above and slam them in the face with my blackjack, knocking them unconscious.

I was also absolutely mystified by Garrett.  Stephen Russell's marvelous performance cast an anti-hero who, unlike say a Han Solo (awesome antihero in his own right) was truly only concerned with his own survival and well-being.  That's not to say that Garrett was the kind of blithe misanthrope who took advantage of anyone who wasn't watching their wallet carefully enough: he was a calm, calculating professional who knew his trade, knew how to make a living at it, and didn't attempt to moralize.  He didn't kill without needing to, didn't take jobs just for the hell of it, and thought his actions through carefully, cautiously, meticulously.  This was a character I could get behind, an outsider who did alright on his own, who really didn't want to be involved with anyone else, who was, as he put it, just interested in keeping his ribs from meeting his spine.

Imagine my petulance when I saw that Stephen Russell, fresh off a performance in Skyrim as something like four thieves, had been replaced.  And then imagine how I felt when, after watching the trailer for the new Thief game, I heard Romano Ozari declare that "When I want something, I always get it."  The character I'd loved as a young man was now replaced by this strange new thing, this vector for wish fulfillment who seemed to be less of a pragmatic survivor constantly drawn into events by the skein of fate and more like an extreme sports nut who used stealing the way some people use parkour.

The surreally animated cutscenes were gone, replaced by photorealistic renderings of a steampunk society run amok.  An interesting prospect, and maybe even an interesting story, but not a Thiefy prospect, not a story about the Garrett who had captivated me as a young man, who continued to captivate me as an adult.  Instead, I saw something that made me think, more than anything else, of a game that bridged Mirror's Edge's failures and Assassin's Creed's successes, a sort of stealthed up version of faster games that attempted to play on the nostalgia I had for something old.  And it might not be bad, it might even be good, but it won't be that thing, that object, that artifact that captured my imagination when I was young, because it will play on being smooth, sleek, fluid, all the things the Thief series reveled in not being.

My friend was right - this was a Deus Exing, brought to bear on Thief.

I think I'm likely in the minority in feeling that the infiltration of action into the stealth genre is a bad thing - it makes the games punchier, more interesting, more engaging.  But it sacrifices intensity and consequence, it sacrifices the notion of painstaking exploration and planning that the Thief games impressed upon their players.  When I played Dishonored, I thought This is what Thief might've been like if Thief had been a game about feeling powerful.  But it wasn't a game about feeling powerful - it was a game about feeling weak and small and alone and still triumphing.  It was a game about outwitting and outmaneuvering, rather than outrunning or overpowering.

The migration of action into stealth games seems aimed towards this sort of power fantasy.  The creative influences of the new Thief game, the Assassin's Creeds and Splinter Cells, focus on fast, brutal, quiet combat.  This makes sense: it presents a powerful, enjoyable fantasy: you're a recontextualized ninja, doing ninja shit, beating people up, slinking away, getting away with everything.  It's cool and its fun.

Thief, on the other hand, isn't fun, or at least, it isn't or wasn't always fun.  It was harrowing, taxing, exhausting.  It made you feel like you'd been put through a ringer when you finished a particularly challenging level, and it never, ever, ever made you feel like you were a particularly tough or quick individual.  But it did invest you in being a character, in inhabiting a world, in really, really considering how your actions played out in a way that few, if any, titles today do.

So I find myself perturbed by the infiltration of action into stealth, of the way that Thief is now looking like the Deus Ex reboot.  I liked Thief when it was Thief, when there were levels where I couldn't touch anyone, and levels where I didn't even see anyone who wasn't a freakish salamander monster capable of broiling me in my own skin before I even got a chance to look at them sideways.  I've got no desire to see what the latest incarnation of the Hammerites are up to if it's with some other, newer Garrett who is climbing up the side of buildings so that he can ledge assassinate guards.

I'd love to play a game that does those things, but it isn't a stealth game, and it certainly isn't a Thief game.  And that, to me, is the problem: not that this game is being made, but that it's being called Thief instead of something new, something all its own that stays the potential for any kind of reboot or sequel more ideologically aligned with the original Thief series.  To me, that's simply tragic, even if Thief 4 is, in the end, great.

No comments: