Sunday, May 5, 2013

Super Nerd Sundays Presents: Monaco Madness!



Any readers who were looking forward to the follow up to last week’s piece on Assassin’s Creed and damselhood, I apologize.  I’m running up against finals pretty hard right now, and I just can’t get myself to a place where I can write the piece that needs to follow up what I’ve already written and still finish up the work I need to complete this semester.  So, in that article’s place, I offer this:

I’m not sure there are enough heist games for there to actually be a heist genre.  A handful of incredibly uneven titles come to mind.  The superlatively shitty Pay Day, which took a bundle of the least inspiring aspects of first person shooters and put them in a slim, unappealing package.  Kane and Lynch’s multiplayer, which has some heisty elements to it.  The Thief series, which features a number of heists, but sort of turns on a very different central conceit from other heist games in that it is largely centered around never being noticed, and every other heist game focuses on the part of the heist where you are both noticed and where everything goes wrong.

So maybe it’s not saying much to call Monaco the single finest heist game I’ve ever played.  I mean, if there isn’t a heist genre, or even subgenre, I don’t think that’s that big a deal.  And I can’t call it the best cooperative puzzle game I’ve ever played, thanks to Portal 2, which still reigns supreme.  But I can say that it ranks up there close to Portal 2.  That sounds better, more impressive, doesn’t it?  Maybe I should change my approach completely and simply say that Monaco is a fucking incredible game.

With a single player, I’m not sure I’d say that.  In fact, I think it’s kind of bad with only one player.  But that’s not how it’s meant to be played.  With its sleek interface and ample matchmaking services, Monaco wants you to play with other people.  It’s willing to make it easy.  And many of those people will be kind, pleasant people who will talk you through their plans.  Others are callow dickheads who expected you to know what to do in a given level without speaking to you, and will scream at you over VOIP after a mistake (oftentimes theirs) has been made.  The experience is still something quite remarkable, either way.

But the best way to play Monaco is with friends, over VOIP.

There you’ll find the debates on who gets to be the Cleaner this time, who has to be the Lookout.  Do we need a hacker?  Do we want a Mole?  I guess we could use a Locksmith.  I guess.  What does the Gentleman do?  I think we should find out.  There’s no reason to use the Pickpocket, I can tell you that.  We still don’t have the Redhead, I’m curious what she’s good at.  Isn’t the Lookout technically a redhead too?

The conversation, the jockeying for position, the arguing over who fucked up how: these are the elements of Monaco that make the game great.  There’s a decidedly old school feel, not simply because of the game’s reserved, pixily essentialist graphics.  But this old school feel rests in a new school shell of complex systems interacting in a nuanced, but simple, way.  Bump up against objects to interact.  Click to shoot your gun or use a wrench.  Actions are so easy to perform, you might perform them accidentally.  Like when I accidentally shoot a guard in the face.  Grab coins.  Grab all the coins, if you can.

To call it a shell for social interaction is inaccurate.  It’s a game.  A game that relies on cooperation and excels when things go wrong and the players in the game bicker.  The play remains core at all times, and completing the heist is a rush: even when repeating a mission, the feeling is one of achievement, accomplishment, righteous excellence in the face of overwhelming odds.  And there’s potential for speed runs after you’re done earning trophies.  Wink wink.

If Monaco has flaws, I haven’t noticed.  It’s simply so charming.  So tiny.  So grand.  If you don’t have it yet, buy it.  Play it with friends.  Unless you don’t have friends, in which case, hire three prostitutes.  Monaco is worth it and so are you.

No comments: