Sunday, April 7, 2013

Super Nerd Sundays Presents: StarCraft 2's Learning Curve!



My love-hate relationship with Starcraft 2 continues to develop.

I’ve now reached the “gold league,” which, I suppose, indicates not that I’ve gotten any better (I’ve improved marginally, if at all) but instead that I’ve played enough to, in some way, merit rewarding.  The alchemy of how progress occurs in Starcraft 2 leagues, how a mid-range silver play becomes a gold player, totally eludes me, but I’ve been told by friends more acquainted with (and better at navigating) Starcraft 2’s systems than I that it’s at least partly related to the amount I play.  I doubt that I could ever play enough to warrant Master League status, but gold, apparently, is a pretty low bar: I’ve played at most thirty matches since the game came out over a month ago, less than an average of one match per day.  I’m honestly surprised that I even made silver, especially given how sloppy my openings and follow-ups are.

But left to my own devices, I’ve begun to explore explosive late-game 1v1 strategies that, generally, should not actually work.  They’re strategies of permission, tactics that emerge from long-form mistakes made by foes.  The most recent one involved the construction of an elaborate fleet of warships, a pop-capped coterie of carriers, void rays and zealots collectively rolling over the map in a massive ball of ceramic armor and shielding.  This ungainly mass shredded everything in its path, even without the presence of a mothership (which I understand is quite fashionable again, thanks to the ubiquitous Protoss mothership core, a must for any Protoss player, regardless of their stance on air units.

I understand, both academically and fundamentally, how reaching a moment like that is absolutely a failure on my part.  If I can’t win a game by the time I’ve capped out my population, I’m doing something wrong.  But the scope of my army, and the experimentation that the protracted game permitted me, were both pleasant.  I got a chance to see how carriers work in this new structure.  I had opportunities to see how well void rays can do against stalkers when they turn on their “bonus against armored targets” ability (hint: it’s incredibly good).  I even had a few chances to see what limited number stand-up fights between oracles and stalkers are like (you need around two stalkers to one oracle, and even then it’s quite close).

These moments, even though they’re not sexy or exciting, are important to Starcraft 2.  Not because they’re earth shattering moments in games, or because they represent exemplary play.  Quite the opposite: each part of the game I’ve mentioned up until now represents me doing something fundamentally wrong, something players should not be doing.  In fact, there’s only one thing I did right during that entire game: a gambit where I ran my entire fleet of void rays to an enemy expansion with my mothership core, then teleported my fleet back to base once it came under attack from a superior force, at the very instant of the enemy expansion’s destruction.  Aside from that lone moment of competence, I was mostly fumbling about, experimenting.  But, in Starcraft 2 as in life, that’s an important part of the process of play.

Because while I did a bunch of absolutely appallingly stupid shit, I learned a lesson from each misstep.  The moment where I sacrificed oracles without needing to taught me a valuable lesson about their limitations as units.  The massive carrier fleet I assembled showcased how weak stalkers are now, relative to other late-game Protoss units, and the void rays that I spent too long putting together flatly showcased just how incredibly important timing their damage boosts can be.

I’ve had companion games, where I’ve used phoenixes to devastate zerg air and ground forces, games where I’ve cannon rushed and turned my cannon-rush into a gateway assault.  I’ve had games where I’ve done things right, and those are valuable too.  But part of Starcraft 2’s strength lies in that it permits you to do things very, very wrong and then learn from the experience.  Not in a directive or immediately informative way (though I understand community events have begun to gear themselves towards generating that sort of conversation) but in a way that encourages people to actually study the game.

Starcraft 2 the game recognizes its own complexity as a system.  It was you to explore it and experiment with it.  It wants to watch you fail, struggle, and learn.  In this, it’s a success, and it would be even if it wasn’t a spectacular game in its own right.  If nothing else, Starcraft 2 can be seen as a structure for feedback and growth, a format for dispensing dense, tedious information in a brightly colored package.

No comments: