Sunday, February 23, 2014

Super Nerd Sunday Presents: Broken Age and the Age of Virality!



Broken Age is a tremendous game in so many ways.  It's a return to a simpler kind of game and type of play, a storytelling oriented, quick and simple single player experience emerging during an era of gaming where people seem far more concerned with long term multiplayer-only or multiplayer only affairs.  It's a point and click oeuvre that manages to dramatically improve the adventure game interfaces of old without actually changing them all that much.  It's a place where actors used to playing to type, like Wil Wheaton and Jack Black, finally have an opportunity to play around with their personas and do something a little different for a change (though Elijah Wood is still in type, masterfully voicing a teenage protagonist as he navigates yarn themed obstacles and the pitfalls of adolescence).  The story at the core of the game is also something to behold: a narrative dedicated to investigating various facets of humanity, a narrative that draws its cast of characters from the oft marginalized group of "not white men" that video games are so terrible at admitting to the existence of.  Broken Age, despite its brevity, is rich, straight up, and I plan to play through it again and try to write a more involved consideration of its loopy themes and construction of (and engagement with) gender binaries and familial structures in the next few weeks.  But that's in the future.  Right now I'm nursing a serious hangover, and I'd like to talk about something a little lighter.  I'd like to talk about how Broken Age made me into a viral marketing mouthpiece without trying very hard.

Some background: I bought Broken Age early last week.  Broken Age is, if memory serves, the sixth Double Fine game I own on Steam now.  I bought Broken Age for full price, without any second thoughts: I think Tim Schafer is a genius, and I want to support him whenever I can.  I played through Broken Age slowly, pensively, like I was eating a particularly rich or rare food that I wouldn't be able to have again for a while.  Then, when I was finished, I looked in my Steam inventory and found that I'd been given, in addition to the requisite cards you get for playing a game, four "25% off" coupons for Broken Age.

At first I was kind of upset: this was the sort of thing that would've been really valuable to me before I bought and played BA, but now it was useless.  The coupons didn't even really work as gifts, since I'd basically be giving someone a product that they'd then need to spend money on.  The whole thing was, in many ways, crazy.  Who gives people coupons for things they already have?

People who want to get those coupons to the people who might use them, as it turns out.

Broken Age was barely cold before I began its meta-game of coupon distribution, seeking out old friends who grew up on King's Quest games, their friends and family, and other friends with friends.  At first, I thought it was just a matter of throwing things around at random and acting as a sort of e-coupon fixer, but as time went on, things became more complicated.  As I started to talk to people more and more distantly related to my normal group of video game friends, I fell into a pattern of explaining why Broken Age was worth playing, why it was fun, why it was important.

I'd just meant to hand out coupons, but instead I'd become a sort of mouthpiece for a company, a company I love, certainly, but a company that I certainly don't work for, especially not in that capacity.

I didn't get angry, or really even get close to feeling angry - Broken Age is good, and I think telling people to check out good things is generally good.  I like Double Fine, and I'd like for them to remain fiscally solvent as long as possible.  The more people who buy their weird, artsy games, the better.  But it got me thinking: is this the best way to virally market a game?

It seemed to work, at least a little, but it's one of many prongs of Double Fine's guerilla media machine. They've been getting lots of attention in the press at large while sitting on Steam's front page, and they managed to initiate a brief, if crucial, dialogue about Kickstarter rewards and how they relate to product releases to the larger market.  But what Double Fine has really made me think about is just how marketing impacts me, and how non-advertising based marketing campaigns actually work.

Double Fine's success seems to be the exception, rather than the rule, as I look through the array of Steam freebies that I've been failing to hand out over the last few months.  While giving away my Steam coupons, I've also been distributing other pieces of Steam marketing memorabilia, like free games and other, more obscure coupons, that I received months or years ago.  Hardly a demonstrate of effective marketing.  But something about Double Fine's framing of their act (it was a gift, a thank you for my loyalty as a customer) and the social interaction it prompted (putting me in a position where I was compelled to discuss something I was passionate about) really worked.  Similar strategies are unfolding in Mechwarrior Online, even as I write this, where players who log in and win a certain number of games (5, a low bar in MWO, where games last ten minutes tops, and win-loss ratios usually turn around 1-1) will be given a free mech and mech bay.  There's an implication, there, not just that you should play something, but that you should get your friends to play it, to acquire free things so that they too can enjoy this interesting experience.

I'm not sure this will ever be a substitute for conventional marketing strategies: if I wasn't playing MWO already, I wouldn't care one whit about their marketing strategy, and if Broken Age wasn't secure on Steam's front page, I wouldn't have even known it was coming out.  But as augments, it seems like these socially minded giveaways, handouts that encourage dialogue and interaction between players and potential players, are actually a sound idea.  Will they continue to emerge?  I sort of hope not - handing out coupons is a bit of a chore.

No comments: