Sunday, March 16, 2014

Super Nerd Sunday Presents: Descending Into Dragonfall!



When I play RPGs I usually get into a pretty deep power gaming cycle.  Sometimes I'll take on the persona of a character, especially when such matters are disconnected from loot cycles (Star Wars: The Old Republic is a great example of how to locate this particular sort of disconnect, regardless of single player or multiplayer status) but for the most part my carefully cultivated consideration of what my character might do goes out the window when it opens up an opportunity for me to get an especially potent anti-son-of-a-bitch machine.  There are exceptions to this rule: when it's clear that it will have some sort of impact on the story, I won't use "phat lewt" as my primary determinant for course of action, and when it's unclear if there will be any real impact on the story, of if the payoff will be worth any potential impact on the story, I'll also usually hold back.

Most RPGs are pretty transparent about things like this.  Potential rewards and relative morality are usually established in pretty concrete terms.  Do this thing, you'll get this reward, your good and evil meters will move in one direction or the other.  Good morality will usually lead to better gear later in the game but no gear in the short run, bad morality will lead to solid gear throughout the game but might curtail access to particularly sweet pieces of gear in the long run.  Decisions range from "murdering puppies" to "saving orphans," and the "morality meter" impact of these choices is almost always really fucking obvious out the gate.

It's noteworthy when a game eschews this pattern, and that really doesn't happen often.  Occasionally the Dragon Age games managed to do so by setting all of your decisions in a complex social environment, but the presence of a number of morally black-and-white companions maintains a relatively grounded moral filter for player actions.  So when I say that Shadowrun Returns: Dragonfall, the expansion to the glorious Shadowrun Returns, forced me out of my calculating ways and into some tough decisions that forced me to invent and invest myself in an actual character, I'm speaking volumes about the quality of that game and its capacity to construct a narrative frame.

I'm not just speaking of it by way of a conventional game review, where I'd discuss how its systems represent an expansion of Shadowrun Returns' own turn-based combat and skill-based dialogue trees that shores up many of the existing issues with the previous game while simultaneously opening up some new holes that are never satisfactorily filled.  I'm not just saying that the new system makes it tougher to min-max a character while simultaneously encouraging that very kind of behavior.  I'm not going to talk about how previously useless skills are now crucial, and how pabulum combat is now tense and exacting.  I'm not going to break down how this game is much more of a fluid, shadowrunning experience than the previous noteworthy release, and how anyone who likes classic Shadowrun games even a little should hop on the Dragonfall bus.

Instead I'm going to talk about how Dragonfall actually invested me in a story.

Shaowrun Returns: Dragonfall opens with a botched run.  This botched run serves as a tutorial of sorts, guiding you through the basics of moving, fighting, using skills and engaging with conditional dialogue, but even as all of these commonplace early-phase RPG things are happening, something else is brewing behind the scenes: you're talking to members of your shadowrunning team, getting to know them, to understand where they're coming from.  The dialogue you choose then, in turn, influences your relationship with these people.  Seemingly asinine choices, like the phrasing of how you announce you'd like to run away from a particularly unwinnable fight, influence the course of the game.  Your poor phrasing while you're addressing the Troll sniper with a military history might alienate her, and cost you an ally at a critical moment in the future.  Your polite deference to your punk rock shaman might earn you a few points in his corner and get you a lifelong friend.  But none of this is clear, and none of this is presented numerically by the game.  Everything is buried; there are no meters that fill up with "like" or "dislike," no clear cut win or lose points choices.  Everything is a dialogue, and even statements that seem harmless can piss off surprisingly sensitive career criminals.

Beyond all of this is a series of missions that feature branching moral decision trees.  Generally, as someone who commits crimes, you're not really doing "the right thing" most of the time, but as the game proceeds it really starts to test ideas of morality.  Missions where freeing a prisoner seems like the best possible choice might go awry when you realize that the prisoner you're trying to help is actually a violent sociopath who deserves to die.  Missions where you're acquiring prototype technology for a potential employer veer into layered investigations of moral certitude and professional ethos, as betrayals stack on betrayals on betrayals.  This layering, bereft of anything but the context in which it is resting at a given moment, makes every decision uncertain.  That research data you recovered from an especially harrowing run might be worth a pretty penny, but is it worth risking your own life in the future, and alienating a potential employer in the short run?  Who knows, those people might not even care if you sell the data, though you'll certainly know if you don't.

The final missions culminate in a series of moral quandaries that, to speak on them here, would spoil the entire god damn game.  Suffice it to say, you're not picking a right or wrong decision at any given point: you're picking a moral or ethical stance in a world where such things are so relative in their construction, so completely unbound from contemporary conceptualizations of morality, that you simply cannot make a decision in a power-gamey way.  Removed from the constraints of conventional morality, bereft of any solid notion of just what sort of reward you'll receive for a given action, there's nothing to be done but act in the way you think you should and hope for the best.  The end result is a game that found me asking "what do I get out of this" less and less, and more and more "what do I believe?"  Is my belief in the sanctity of liberty so profound that I'll free a murderous artificial intelligence?  Or is the risk of letting a rogue AI out into the world too great?  It's difficult to say, so I'm merely left with a notion of what my character, what my avatar in this world might do.  In order to make decisions like that, I've really only got one choice: to really sink into my character and act the way I think I would in this world.  I'm forced to relate, in the absence of a risk-reward system, in order to move ahead.

It's a strange notion: by largely decoupling moral choices from visible rewards, Harebrained Schemes effectively constructs an environment where projection on to another character becomes a key aspect of gameplay.  Without the usual markers of progress that inhabit RPGs as a genre to guide me, I had to actually take on the "role" of a character in order to make difficult choices.  I couldn't merely fall back on ideas of "progress calculus," I had to sit and think about being a person.

Shadowrun Returns didn't really pull this off at all, which is, in part, why Dragonfall's achievement is so impressive.  The systems of the game don't natively encourage this sort of association, and, as a result, it seems to emerge from the writing and story structure of the game itself.  Shadowrun Returns: Dragonfall isn't just telling me a story, or presenting me with a system.  It's showing me a world, and asking me to choose how I'll impact that world.  There are conceptual games that do similar things, sure, but they're few and far between.  By and large, games are about securing and amassing advantage.  They're about achieving mastery of systems, even when they tell a story.  That story all too often unfolds within the framework of a system which you're progressing through or presiding over.  It's rare to be asked to inhabit a person within a framework, and rarer still to be given so much leeway within that role while simultaneously being compelled to jump through so many varied hoops.  It makes me hopeful for any content to come in the Shadowrun universe, and for whatever Harebrained Schemes decides to do next.

No comments: