Sunday, August 10, 2014

Super Nerd Sunday Presents: Wherein Accountability Rears Its Ugly Head!



There are few games I love as thoroughly and completely as Baldur's Gate 2.  It still looms large in my past, a fixed point in a lonely and hostile series of high school experiences, a book I would return to again and again.  Baldur's Gate 2 represents an object, a kind of object, a class or taxonomy of experience, that I love with a thoroughness and passion that dwarfs the majority of my human interactions.  They really don't make games like BG2 any more, but the presence of multiple Kickstarters for titles echoing its style and play, as well as a refrain of community notes fired off at Bioware to "make Dragon Age: Inquisition more like Baldur's Gate" with regard to character generation and open play illustrates that I'm not alone in wanting to revisit that kind of top down, isometric RPG goodness.  What's more, Beamdog's Enhanced Editions, slight spruce-ups of the Baldur's Gate series with small amount of new content and heaps of classic game flavor, served as a sort of proof of concept that the games themselves, clunky and dated, could still prove viable in today's marketplace.  Their reboots, while not enormous successes, were significant enough that Atari decided to sue Beamdog for potential losses incurred from just one of Beamdog's many distribution methodologies.

And heck, I've even had a good time playing Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition, so much so that I've sunk more hours into it than many other, contemporary games - I'm still on my first full playthrough, and my time-stamp stacks over 100 hours now, no mean feat given the raw influx of titles cluttering my Steam library.  So when I say "I fucking hate Beamdog's Baldur's Gate 2 reboot," I want to be sure that you don't think I'm demeaning the game, or the effort to resurrect it, or the genre, or anything else.  I want you to understand that what I mean, specifically, is that Beamdog's iteration of Baldur's Gate 2 has effectively reminded me why I loved the game in the first place, fixed a number of problems the game had long, long ago, and, in doing so, introduced a bevy of new issues that actually make aspects of this amazing game unplayable.  They took something I loved, gave it to me, and took it away.  Like the ex-girlfriend you hate for years for breaking your heart, it's not that the things they did wrong were so tremendous or so severe, it's that they're offset against some truly amazing moments which make the sting of betrayal into something far more than it ever needed to be.

Let me get specific.

I've encountered two states in Beamdog's reboot, both of which are encountered during the course of routine play.  Simply by playing through their game, as intended, I consistently reach a set of states wherein the game cannot progress or, in each case, function at all.  The first of these fail states occurs when I play through one of the bits of additional content Beamdog has attached to their game.  While accompanying a character through an epic end-game quest, through numerous glitchy conversations and bugged out events, the game freezes out all inputs, makes my party completely stationary, and and removes the user interface.  Imagine the way Baldur's Gate starts off its in-game cutscenes, except nothing ever triggers: the scripting language takes control of the game, but it never fires.  You can work around some of these events, but eventually one of them will cut off your ability to complete the events in the quest sequence.  This has been occurring with such reliability that Beamdog has repeatedly posted recommendations that players use a Save State editor or console commands to bypass the quest altogether, or to trick the game into perceiving a positive result where none exists, which is akin to an automobile company whose car seizes up that they should get out of the vehicle and push.

The second issue is a little more personal, but also pretty prominent: the Multiplayer function included with the game doesn't allow players to play games together.  At least, it doesn't let me and my friend play games together.  Every time we try, his game crashes a few seconds in.  I looked around a little online and found out that this has been a known issue with Beamdog's reboots for over a year, and that no fix exists.  What's more, I found that posts about both issues, which Beamdog promised to fix via patch at some indistinct future point, were actually being deleted by forum moderators "to prevent duplicate entries on the issue."  That is to say that the discussion of these problems had grown so prominent and demanding that it necessitated policing.

Launching games with performance issues that partially or wholly prevent players from accessing game content is hardly new.  Hell, Blood 2 was immortalized by Penny-Arcade not for its game content, but for crippling systems that just installed the game, and that dates all the way back to 1999.  Here, fifteen years later, I'm hardly surprised by unplayable products.  But I am incredibly disappointed by them still, and Beamdog's response is illustrative of a larger problem: developers, even small studios with only a handful of projects reliant on small communities of closely knit fans for support, are now willing to turn a blind eye to this sort of thing, even actively curtail its discussion to make the problem seem less prominent than it actually is.  It's indicative of a kind of impersonal approach to game development that dissociates developers from both product and consumer in a way that seriously problemitizes the whole development schema.  Again this is hardly a new thing, but more often than not this sort of ambivalence is obscured by the apparatus of large developers and publishers.  Launching products that don't work has, for a long time, been the domain of people who can afford to alienate portions of their customer base, people who work on a series of rotating projects, years in development, who rarely, if ever, have time to reflect on the objects they've made  The expectation has been that smaller developers and studios aren't capable of this kind of apathy, by merit of their relationship with players.  A small developer who releases a broken game and doesn't fix it won't inspire confidence, and most developers, as a result, bend over backwards to make sure that the games they release are up to snuff.  In one of the more prominent examples of solid best practices, Ironclad Games gave a free copy of a $60 game to everyone who bought Elemental, so fearsome was their shame at the state of the product they originally released.  That kind of behavior made Ironclad a big figure in the pantheon of minor game developers, and it established a sound precedent for designers: that paying attention to your community and treating them right will help you get ahead in the world.

The expectation now is that indie games are, by merit of their apparatus, artisanal games: hand crafted in small batches by people who give a shit, people who actively communicate with their communities and want to make sure that players have an excellent experience.  Beamdog demonstrated that this isn't the case.  They showed that an indie developer can and will release content that is literally unplayable given an opportunity to do so.  It's tragic, in large part because I cannot finish Baldur's Gate 2's content and Rasaad's brother will forever go unavenged, but also because it has eroded my trust of small developers.  Even as I Kickstart and purchase Early Access games, even as I play partially finished content with the hope that it will soon become something spectacular, one experience like this makes me question my belief that Indie game structures permit designers to do something better.  I won't stop buying Indie games, that's certain, but I won't be buying anything from Beamdog again.

Perhaps that's the lesson here: that accountability for indie developers is very, very real.

No comments: