Sunday, September 20, 2015

Super Nerd Sundays Presents: Pattern Interrupt!



An especially cynical critic could posit that learning to play games really amounts to little more than learning to identify patterns.  A player "learns" to play a game when they zero in on the pattern of the game itself, the rhythm behind its play.  It's akin to reading poetry, or tapping out a beat: at first it might be clumsy, or haphazard, but over time players develop a fluency with the systems that govern that pattern, and eventually internalize the structures of said pattern.  Consider Street Fighter: players learn attacks, counters, and specials, and then combine them together in a sort of dance that, as both players acquire fluency in those patterns, becomes increasingly elegant.  Novice Street Fighter players might clumsily punch and block and stagger out an abortive hadouken or three, and the game, as such, can be almost painful for spectators to watch, ut professional Street Fighter players engage in a sort of play that takes on a highly performative quality, as players engage in a kind of theater reserved for one another that can translate delightfully for an audience.  The pattern of Street Fighter becomes a sort of dance performance, and spectators, even without a working knowledge of the game and its systems, can be utterly enchanted by that pattern.

Starcraft exists on the other side of the spectrum.  An ugly game, difficult to spectate at any level, Starcraft is a game that relies entirely on players building, breaking, and rebuilding patterns: the opening moves of each Starcraft game are more or less the same, and the divisions from that point onward are little more than realizations of different approaches, different pattern-shapes actualized by players to the best of their ability.  Starcraft 2 build orders remain enshrined, and player execution of those build orders can often be predicted down to a few minutes.  At the highest levels of play, there are disruptive constructions of these patterns that rely on an understanding of their inner workings, but at the core of everything, the patterns, the build order and the performative element of micro-managing units in combat, remain key, so much so that Starcraft announcers spend a great deal of time explaining not only the patterns that players are engaging in, but the patterns they're eschewing or modifying as well.

I could harp on a bunch of other examples of patterns, but most players probably recognize, by now, that their play style builds on some sort of patterned behavior that they internalize as effective or functional.  Even single player games, and their storylines, rely on patterns to work.  I've been replaying X-Com, and I find its familiar patterns to be almost comforting, and as I fall into them, I remember why that game ate almost a year of my life.  I start a new game, I set up my tech, get my units deployed, and begin iterating towards success as best I can.  The most unusual thing in gaming, the most unthinkable thing, really, is to create a game that eschews patterns, or that asks players to learn patterns and then breaks them up without warning or care for how that disruption might impact the lessons that game has been teaching its players.  Sunless Sea, which has long stood as a sort of non-proverbial white whale at the edge of my perception, is all about this kind of interruption.

Sunless Sea is a rogue-a-like that puts players in command of a small ship in an undersea ocean filled with terror.  Players sail around trying to get money, recruit crew, and buy a bigger boat, all so they can avoid dying terribly to the sea creatures, pirates, hell beasts, and general dickheads who inhabit the undersea realm of Fallen London.  At first, the game asks players to do something pretty simple: explore.  Get out there and find as much stuff as you can as fast as you can. Patterns begin to unfold as exploration takes place.  Players will find quests that seem to repeat.  They'll begin hauling cargo from one place to another, taking mostly-dead tourists around the horror-scape of Fallen London.  These patterned actions will give you money, and you'll want to keep trying your hand at them to keep paying your bills.  But then, a problem will arise.  You'll be unable to do so anymore.

It won't be that your locations will be gone.  It will merely be that the pattern will no longer deliver any kind of positive return on investment.  I had my first pattern-interrupt when the young women I visited to stock up on supplies before going on long journeys burned their manor house to the ground.  If not for the intervention of an insane scholar in a completely different location, I'd have probably starved in the long run, or had to put off improving my lot in life, at the very least.  My second pattern interrupt came after I'd spent some time transporting stone from ancient ruins sacred to an undersea god to the London bazaar, where I could then sell them for good coin.  I'd been making good money when, suddenly, I was told that my contacts in the London government would no longer be accepting my shipments.  Instead, I'd have to explore uncharted locations with a hold half-full of stone, and find a way to gain access to a foreign port for a day so that I can convince them to accept my various shipments.  With that done, the pattern was officially closed, and I went off to find my next money making scheme.

That is, in a sense, the brilliance of Sunless Sea, and what makes its capacity for pattern interruption so special: that by asking players to learn patterns, and then removing those patterns from play, it encourages a distinct kind of exploration that prevents players from ever getting comfortable.  In a horror themed game about exploration, the threat, always, is that players will become powerful enough to resolve any kind of trouble they encounter without issue.  But by forcing players to adapt to new circumstances, by forcing them to constantly expand their explorations or stagnate, and in stagnating slowly starve, lose fuel, and die, Sunless Sea manages to make their game an exercise in forcing players to consistently learn new skills and internalize new patterns.

It goes beyond exploration, even infiltrating the combat.  In my first small ship, I'd be forced to hug up next to enemy frigates and corvettes and sit in their blind spot, plinking away, if I wanted to beat them in a fight.  Undersea creatures were an outright nightmare that I had no chance against in a fight.  My only option was to run away.    As the game progressed and I bought bigger engines, I realized I could actually turn at the last minute and force sea monsters to overshoot my ship and sit quietly for a few minutes, which, with my improved speed and maneuverability, could help me take down large targets that I'd previously had to flee from.  The addition of a forward facing weapon added a new consideration: should I face an enemy head on and try to do double or triple damage, or fight them mostly by strafing them, and maximize my own safety?  The calculus of battle shifted with each new feature, and the patterns that I had fallen into shifted accordingly.

Ordinarily, this might seem infuriating, but Sunless Sea encourages players to die and play again, which means the patterns that they're learning, these strange patterns that beg players to explore their world and then adapt to changing circumstance, are patterns that players should be engaging with consistently before moving past them and learning about a new pattern.  That's where Sunless Sea really shines: it's a game that recognizes the value of patterns in gaming, the importance of pattern recognition and mastery in play, and the stagnating potential of those patterns when they're sustained in play.  As elements that players can tackle and move through, they can be helpful, useful, even necessary grounding elements that allow each game to open up.  But the meat of the play, the thing that makes the game fun, and keeps the game fun, is the interruption that follows, the randomness that comes with each patterned interaction.  There are always patterns, but their shifting nature, their inconsistency, means the pattern you're engaging with will change ere long.  That's what makes Sunless Sea great, what makes it unpredictable, and what makes it, sometimes, wonderfully infuriating.

Well, that and the writing.  The writing is also quite good as well, I suppose.

No comments: