Sunday, December 21, 2014

Super Nerd Sundays Presents: Rebuilding a Knowledge Base!



It's tempting to craft any number of phone in template essays under the present circumstances.  My students have just turned in their work, prompting me to sift through the largest number of portfolios I've ever had to deal with since I started teaching, there are a number of holiday sales and events that bring to mind thoughts of how seasonal events are, in a real sense, absolute bullshit, and also thoroughly wonderful things when well executed.  The good people at Overkill Games recently introduced an update to PAYDAY 2's feat system that deftly addresses the concerns I brought up a week ago.  But those bullshit topics take a back seat, in my mind, to a more prominent, more pressing bullshit topic: the strange high stakes game that emerges every time I replace a piece of hardware on my system.

It's a struggle I forget between bouts, but each time it happens the threat, the consequence, and the rush of success are all very real.  The most recent culprit was a video card, as it often is.  After installing the card, I had to spend about an hour uninstalling driver sets and restarting my system to get Windows to even notice that a graphics card had been installed.  When I was finished, I got to wait a little longer and reboot my system one last time, crossing my fingers that something, anything would change in terms of how problem games would perform.

In the end, the difference was minimal.  Mechwarrior: Online, the bane of my hardware existence, runs slightly better, but less because of my new card, and more because I finally read about how to effectively force hardware integration out of Pirahna's cobbled together software package.  But as I went through the motions of reestablishing a stable build for playing games, I remembered why I loved building systems.  It goes beyond just cobbling together moving parts, or making games run smoother.  Sure, those are both components of it, both satisfying in their own right, but the real motivation behind my hardware lust comes from a learning-process oriented feedback loop.

Usually learning-process oriented feedback loops are abstracted: we don't notice we're learning until after we've learned, and even then we only notice when we're forced to compare previous performance to updated performance.  But when you're messing around with hardware configurations, the risk and reward components are so stark and immediate in their response times that it's difficult not to experience an almost immediate bit of response feedback each time a piece of hardware works especially well, or a piece absolutely shits itself, potentially bricking an entire system, or prompting a quick case rewire to insure that all the 8-pins are in the right places.

So in the end, as I look at Dragon Age: Inquisition and see it running wonderfully, look at Mechwarrior: Online and see it running more or less the same, and look at the low-end games I spend a great deal of my time playing and wonder why I even need a dedicated GPU sometimes, I just have to smile.  Even if performance doesn't dramatically uptick, at least I learned something from the single largest one-item purchase of the last year of my life.

No comments: